Monday, June 23, 2014

Day 3 - June 9, 2014 The "Wonder"ful Adventure Begins

Guess what day it is?  Mickey Boat Day!  We woke up and headed down to get breakfast and who did we see coming around the bend - Our beautiful home for the next week.
 We stopped on deck 8 - the pool deck on our way down to get a few pictures but for some reason I forgot to get any with the girls. 
 So we stopped again on ground level to get a couple of family shots.  

 We even got one of all 4 of us since someone volunteered to take our picture (thank you very much)


 I had to drag myself away from watching our ship come in to go get breakfast downstairs in the food court.  Alice is on her Banana Phone calling Mr. Monkey (or was she the monkey I can't remember)  It was so funny.
 Mom and Dad at breakfast ready to go.


 By the time breakfast was finished our ship was at the dock, so we walked up and down Canada Place and took several pictures of The Wonder.  Poor Donald.  

 Megan and Alice - future Hockey Stars (our cabin is in the background - it is the one with people standing on the veranda)

 Captain James and his shipmates Megan and Alice are steering us into clear waters.  
 Alice is ready to be on board already


The girls were duck watching and starting to get a little cold.  It was time to go inside and pack so we could have our luggage picked up.

The girls went upstairs with grandma and grandpa so they could watch the ship while James and I went down to our room to pack.

While they were there they got to watch the characters and crew practice for the sail away deck party and take a short nap. 


We had thought about going back to Stanley Park this morning, but the girls just wanted to hang out at the hotel and get on the ship.  James and I had no problem getting our luggage picked up.  We called down to bell services and let them know we needed our luggage picked up and sent to the Disney Wonder.  They were up in about 5 minutes and loaded up the luggage without any problem.  

After the luggage was gone, we did one last search of the room (and yet I still somehow left my earrings behind) and headed up to my parents room on the 16th floor.  After a little persuasion, we convinced the girls to walk outside to see the Digital Whale and Olympic Torch on the other side of the convention center.

 In the lobby of the Pan Pacific

James has a weird monkey on his back

 This whale is so very cool.  I got to explain the concept of pixels to Megan

 It was a lot of fun to watch the float planes take off and land


 Mom and Dad with the Wonder and Convention Center in the background
 A rare family shot



By now it was around 10am or so and time to go back to the room to get ready to go downstairs and check in for the cruise.

When we got downstairs we were directed to the crew line to get through security due to my mom's wheelchair.  We ended up the 2nd people through security I think.  We got checked in with not problems, picked up the girls Mickey Bands, and saw Mickey Mouse all before it was time to board the ship.




 Alice was a dancing fool by the chairs as we waited for our boarding group.


When we came back from Mickey they announced the Family of the Day boarding.  We were boarding group #4 so we got where we could hear the boarding announcements.  After what seemed like forever (I know it wasn't but we were excited) they called groups 3 and 4 together.  As we were waiting of the family picture, Minnie Mouse came by to go out and switch places with Mickey.  Alice was so excited and jumping up and down, so Minnie stopped to give hugs and high fives.  


We got our pictures taken (some of them were nice, but we didn't purchase these) and we were on our way
 Two little girls weren't excited at all ;)

 Introducing the Green Family
 Introducing the Jackson Family

We ate lunch in Parrot Cay.  I was a little surprised that they didn't have a selection of kids food on the buffet.  We asked the waiter and he found Alice her first dish of Mac n Cheese for the cruise.  I convinced Megan to try the Pork Schnitzel (which she thought was chicken at first) and she loved it.  1 point for the must try new food deal.

After lunch we stopped at Guest Services to get tickets to the Disney Friends Tea Party on Tracey Arm Day and then set out to explore the ship while we waited for our room to be ready.  
We started on Deck 4 with a little bit of shuffle board.  Alice's way of playing shuffle board was to push the marker all the way from one end to the other and place it in a number.  Megan's way was to start at the mid court line to shot it from there.  James and I had to play by the real rules.  :)


 The rooms weren't quite ready yet so we went up to deck 5 to check out the Club and the Lab.


 Love this shot of Megan mid bounce
 Alice in a barrel

 Whenever Alice was in the lab, she could be found building something with these bricks.  :)


The rooms were now open so we headed up to deck 6 to check it out.  We dropped off our backpacks and James' Pepsi and went up to finish exploring since we had no bags yet.  
 Up on deck 9 for a hotdog and ice cream

 And more bananas (I think Alice is the reason they ran out of Banana's by day 6 ;)  
 Look - they really do love each other.
 And then up to deck 10



You can see Canada Place and my parents room at the Pan Pacific in the background here.
We went back down to 6 to see if we had any luggage but no luck.
 This seemed like the most inefficient process to get items on the ship possible.  Each cart of luggage (or food or supplies etc) had to be loaded into a cage and then lifted with a crane to the ship.  I think they had sent some luggage to the wrong end because they had to unload some luggage as well as load it.
 By chance I looked down and saw our luggage coming on board.  I knew this meant we wouldn't have it for a while, but at least I knew it was on the boat.

Then it was time for the muster drill and sail away party.
So down we went to Deck 4.  I appreciate the muster drill, but as someone who is claustrophobic and doesn't do well in crowds, it is a little hard for me to stand there like a sardine for such a long period of time.   I am always very happy when we can leave the drill.  
MOOO!

Sail Away Party Time!
The girls and I headed up to deck 9 by the stage and my parents and husband went up to deck 10 to watch the show.  We were right up next to the stage so I was able to get some nice pictures and the girls were able to have a lot of fun.





















This is my 4th cruise - 2 on the Magic, 1 on the Fantasy and now this one on the Wonder.  As you can tell from the stage pictures - there was no way this was a full cruise.  I've never had that much room to dance around on stage.  
It might have looked more crowded looking down from deck 10 than it felt on deck 9 however.
Dad and James on Deck 10 after the sail away party

The girls were ready to go back to the room and it was about time for us to pull away from the dock, so we went back down to deck 6.  Most of our luggage was delivered while we were at the party.  Since our room 6620 was right at the aft elevator entrance, our host had put our luggage in our room.  I had a fun time trying to get around the luggage and into the room to pull the luggage further into the room.  We accidentally had someone else's luggage mixed in with ours as well.  We gave that back to the host and I found clothes for dinner and then went out on the veranda to take some pictures.  







After sailing under the Lion's Gate Bridge, we changed clothes, shoved the luggage into the closet and made our way to Parrot Cay for dinner.

I will admit I was a little frustrated with our dining rotation.  I had requested a rotation that would put us in Parrot Cay on Skagway as we had a late excursion and I didn't want to be in Animator's Palette that night.  What we ended up with was a rotation that started in Parrot Cay which put us in Animator's on day 4 - Skagway day.  We had 5:45 pm dinner table 15 with the rotation of PTTAPTA.  This gave us our character breakfast on the morning of day 6 - Ketchikan.

I will further admit that I was less than thrilled with our dining team this cruise.  We have had 2 great dining teams and 1 okay dining team and this dining team.  We came in the first night and found our table.  We were in the back corner of the dining room.  I feel like Disney feels the need to hide our family in the dining rooms.  I'd love to get a table in the middle of the action eventually. My goal for the cruise was to get my oldest Megan to try some new food.  So she bravely ordered off the adult menu most of the week.   Somehow we could never get the server to bring her an adult menu so she always had to share with my husband.  So dinner started out with the assistant server asking for our drink orders but never actually introducing himself.  He didn't even really stop to say hi.  The same with the server.  I honestly wasn't sure which one was responsible for what at first.  I never did figure out where the assistant server was from and the only reason I know the server was from Triadad and Tabango was that I read it on her name tag. Service was slow and challenging and often we did not get all of what we ordered or we didn't get it correct.  I convinced Megan to try the spicy tomato soup because she loved their tomato basil soup on our Canada cruise.  It was not the same and it was not very good.  But she did try it.  My dad and I ordered the Baked Crab Martinique for an appetizer which was very good.  I ordered an Apple Sauce for Alice to take her medicine in.  It didn't come out until the dinners did (and they didn't bring the kids plate early either).  For dinner Megan tried the Slow Roasted Chicken Breast and we joked that the Slow Roasted Chicken Breast was the reason the meal was slow.  Dad had the Mixed Grill, My mom and I had the Rib-Eye and my husband the sirloin steak.  My steak was supposed to be medium and my husbands well done.  We ended up switching steaks because his was pink and mine was very well done.  Did I mention I don't like well done steaks.  Alice had the Mac n' Cheese.  Dinner was okay but like I said very, very slow.  Megan loved her slow roasted chicken.  



I ended up having to take Alice to the room to change during dinner.  She loved her surprise set up from our room host.




  Once we got back to the table I ordered my nightly Mickey Bar and took the girls to the club.  They were dying to get there.  

I finished up my Mickey Bar and went back to the room to unpack some before the Welcome Aboard Show.  I stopped by the club to see if the girls wanted to go to the show or stay in the club, but they were tired and ready to go back to the room.  I called James who had gone up to deck 9 for something and he picked up the girls and brought them back to the room.  All 3 were asleep when I got back from the show.  

I snuck into the show right as it was starting and sat in the back.  It was cute and gave a nice tease of things to come.  I'm not a huge fan of the magic/comedy stuff so I started to get a little bored at that point.  

After the show I ran into my father who also went down to the show and was on the other side.  So we walked up to the room together.  At this point it was definitely time for bed as I had an early morning run planned on deck 4.

Next - Day 4 Sea Day Fun

No comments:

Post a Comment